Dear Members of District 10,
We hope you, your families, and friends are safe. Thank you for continuing to persevere through the uncertainty that surrounds us with regards to COVID-19. Please know that we are in this together, and will work through the challenges as One Team.
We’d like to share a few updates to address what’s on your minds. Please continue to share your thoughts with us. We are available to answer your questions and address your concerns.
The Toastmasters International Board of Directors met on March 14 to discuss options to protect and support our members, club leaders, and district leaders. Please take a few minutes to read this note to inform yourselves of the updates. We are confident that Toastmasters has prepared us for this day, and that whatever has brought us together will keep us together!
Voting on District events
- There will be a DEC meeting on March 28 to discuss current and upcoming District events.
- A District Council meeting will be held after March 28 (date TBD) to conduct district business, including elections for the 2020-2021 District 10 Office.
- May occur online, in-person, or both at the discretion of the club.
- Division Directors now have zoom accounts to schedule online meetings for their clubs. Expect to hear from them this week.
- TI requires the District Executive Committee (DEC) to vote to conduct or cancel speech contests.
- If the vote is to proceed with contests, all contests held on or before June 1 must be online.
- Zoom training schedule for “How to Conduct Online Club Meetings” will go out this week.
- Online Contest Training will be scheduled pending the outcome of the DEC vote.
- The DEC must vote on the decision to hold the Conference online/cancel/defer to a later date.
- Any payments made thus far will be issued as refunds this week.
- New payments may be collected towards a new event pending a decision made by the DEC.
- DTM Ceremony and other district recognition events will be planned once additional guidance is available from TI.
Area Director Visits & Distinguished Club Program (DCP)
- Remaining Area Director visits for Round 2 will be online (whether meeting online or in-person).
- Progress towards the DCP will continue as planned.
Change challenges our ability to adapt, and tests our appetite for seeing ourselves through achieving our dreams. As inevitable as lack of control is, our planning for what we can control is bound to help us adapt and lead the best way that we can. ~ Sravanthi
As Robert H. Schuller says, “Tough Times don’t last, but Tough People do!” I am filled with gratitude knowing we will RISE to the occasion as leaders in our families, communities and amongst our fellow Toastmasters. ~Alicia
“There is nothing stronger in the world than gentleness,” as former UCLA coach John Wooden said. We’re all a team if we take the time to make that so. Let’s keep working together. ~Craig
Moving forward together,
Sravanthi Vallampati, District Director
Alicia Smith-Kirk, Program Quality Director
Craig Gerlock, Club Growth Director